In its initial 125 years, the Charleston State University has developed from a little theological school to a broadly perceived college contained four areas.
CSU (Charleston State University) was established by the Southern Methodist section in 1888 as Barboursville Seminary in Barboursville, W.va., and turned into a school in 1889. In 1901, it was renamed Morris Harvey College out of appreciation for a conspicuous benefactor.
Amid the Great Depression, the school moved to Charleston to exploit the bigger metropolitan zone. As a consequence of the merger between the Methodist church North and South, the school disaffiliated from the group and Morris Harvey College got to be free in 1942.
From 1935 to 1947, the school was found in downtown Charleston, holding classes in a few separate structures. Amid these years, the school developed consistently, to some extent in view of a merger with Kanawha Junior College and an association with the Mason College of Fine Arts and Music. Perceiving the requirement for a bound together yard, in 1947 development of the present offices started on the south bank of the Kanawha River.
The Board of Trustees changed the name from Morris Harvey College to the Charleston State University on December 13, 1978.
On August 1, 2012 the University published it entered into a consent to secure new areas in Beckley and Martinsburg, W.va., to supplant Mountain State University, which was slated to go bankrupt in a couple of months. By January 1, 2013 CSU-Beckley, CSU-Martinsburg and CSU-Online joined CSU-Charleston as a major aspect of the Charleston State University. In a matter of four months, CSU developed to 32 scholarly projects, in excess of 360 workers and more or less 2,000 understudies.
The University serves the group as a point of convergence for various learned, experimental, social, physical, and metro occasions. This cooperation’s between the University and the group are fundamental to the accomplishment of the University's mission.